Re: [Usability]Gnome file dialogs

Joshua Adam Ginsberg wrote:

The work looks great... I love looking at the dialogs you're designing
as they evolve...

I too am very confused by the term "Searchbar" given what seems to
appear upon clicking it... Given the back, forward, and up buttons with
the location textfield, the "Search" dropdown doesn't seem to serve any
purpose whatsoever... I'm sure it does in your mind, but whatever
purpose that is eludes me... Searchbar to me would imply that you can
search your filetree for some string...

I am in favor of keeping the Emblem dropdown... it's a feature of
Nautilus that is seldom used but only because it's not integrated
anywhere else in GNOME... you would have to do the majority of your file
management in Nautilus to even consider using it, and I don't think most
of us do because it still needs some work... I think if we integrate the
feature across all of GNOME it will become something people use and
something distinctive about GNOME...

I like the idea of emblems, I just dont find myself actually *using* them.

I'm also unclear on some behavior... So let's say I select Home from the
dropdown menu and the file listing below lists the folders and files in
my home directory... then I select one of the subfolders... I am no
longer in my Home directory, but is the dropdown still going to indicate
such? Am I not going to be able to see my pwd unless I've got the
searchbar active?

This is why I personally think it might be better to have "home", "documents" and "desktop" as buttons instead of in the list (I'd like to be able to change where "documents" points to). Keep the list for perhaps user-defined "favourites" and perhaps external devices like flash drives, ext hdd, camera etc, with a horizontal separator between "favourites" and external devices.

And I'd just like to state I'm in favor of having a simple "New Folder"
button in the save dialog... oftentimes I don't decide I want to put
something into a new folder until after I've opened the dialog, and it
would keep me from having to open up a terminal or Nautilus just to
create it...

Agreed. I often need to create a new folder when saving things, expecially as I download something from the net.

Thanks for all your work!

-jag