Re: Additional Panel Menus (was Re: [Usability]recent documents in panel)

Dave Bordoley wrote:

Hi James:

On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 02:07, James Willcox wrote:
Hi all,

I'm putting together a patch that uses my recent-files code in the
panel. Here's what it looks like so far: http://snorp.coreyo.net/files/Screenshots/panel-recent-menu.png

I think this is a cool idea, but with some caveats. First, I know seth
is planning on moving all the preferences and settings out of
applications menus and into the main menu. My main concern is that we
may add too many menus to the top panel, cluttering it and potentially
annoying some users. Of course this concern can be easily addressed
if/when we move to using the menubar applet, which allows the user to
choose what menus they would like to be available.

What is this menubar applet? Is it a way of editing the menu or something similar?

I would like to know what the usability crowd thinks about where this
menu should go, how it should look, etc.  I think it would also be cool
to have a "recent applications" menu as well (I used this all the time
back when I had a mac).

I'm sort of mixed on the recent applications menu, while i think it may
be a good idea, i think a task menu would be in general more powerful. I
haven't thought this through too much but this menu would probably
something like:

Tasks
|-Browse the web
|-Compose a Document
|-Search for Files
|-Send an Email
|-Take a Screenshot
|-Help

This list is obviously incomplete, but i'm willing to guess that most
users have a fix set of tasks they perform most often, and that a recent
applications menu is really a way for users to easily find the apps they
use to perform these tasks most quickly, so why not instead provide a
list of tasks. Of course, if we move to the menubar applet and make both
tasks and recent apps preferences, there would be little cost in adding
both.

All said, I think both these ideas are worth looking at but i think we
should examine the menus as a complete set, so that we're not just
adding stuff without some kind of vision of where we are going.

Good Work,

dave