Re: [Usability]recent documents in panel

On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 10:44, Nils Pedersen wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Seems like there's at least 3 options
>
> 1) create a new top level menu
> 2) add it to one of the existing menus
> 3) do something special like the app switcher
>
> I think within the current design, it makes most sense (well for me
> anyway) that it is an "Action".
>
> Something like
>
> Open Recent >
> Run Program...
> Search for Files...
> Screenshot...
> ----------
> Lock Screen
> Log Out
>
> (at first I put Run Program at the top, I think it 'looks'
> better, but I also think Open Recent will be used much more)
>
> So Open Recent would be a cascading menu equivalent to your
> Documents menu. Now this goes slightly against the
> grain of what the HIG says...

This sounds fine to me...

> James Willcox wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm putting together a patch that uses my recent-files code in the
> > panel.  Here's what it looks like so far:
> > http://snorp.coreyo.net/files/Screenshots/panel-recent-menu.png
> >
> > I would like to know what the usability crowd thinks about where this
> > menu should go, how it should look, etc.  I think it would also be cool
> > to have a "recent applications" menu as well (I used this all the time
>

> Maybe that is what Favorites is ?

I guess I haven't used/don't know what Favorites is.  If you mean like
the old favorites menu in gnome 1.x, that's not what I mean.  I was
thinking about a dynamic menu that contained a list of the last
applications you used (probably only if you launched them from the
panel, sadly).

> > back when I had a mac).
> >

> I think there is opportunity to look at what tasks we are trying to
> support with the panel as a whole, and try an prioritise which tasks
> are most important for a user and come up with some design options
> that we can objectively test.

Absolutely.