RE: [Usability]Nautilus criticism (Long)

Thanks for that info. Like I said, ideally, I'd like to see the custom
URI thing go altogether.

Interestingly, in your second link
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-webarch-20020830/#resources-uris
Was the following:
<quote>
2.2.4. Absolute URI references and context-sensitivity
Each absolute URI reference unambiguously identifies one resource, but
the resource itself may be defined in a context-sensitive manner. For
resources of this type, the result of a dereference operation may vary
by context. Thus, http://example.org/nearest/pizza/ may unambiguously
identify "the nearest pizza restaurant", but the result of a retrieval
operation may vary (e.g., it may change with the geographical position
of the retrieving agent). Similarly, http://localhost/ and
file:/etc/hosts each identify one resource, but that resource is local
to a particular computer, so dereference results will vary.

Context-sensitive absolute URI references can be useful (e.g., when one
needs to find pizza or talk about host names in Unix environments).
However, on the public Internet, an identifier such as file:/etc/hosts
is a poor choice for the generic resource "host information" because, in
many contexts (i.e., most non-Unix operating systems), host information
is not maintained in a file named /etc/hosts.

Be aware of context-sensitivity in absolute URI references: Owners and
users of absolute URI references SHOULD ensure that any
context-sensitivity of these identifiers is appropriate.
</quote>

--
Chris Altmann - altmann rcsis com