[Usability]gnome-terminal menus

If you right-click in gnome-terminal you get a lovely yellow menu.
Well, mine's yellow, yours might not be so nice, but that's
beside the point.

You'll notice a ring around the first item, New Terminal, as if
it's sitting in a dirty bathtub.

Now, it might happen that after you right-clicked, or even at the same
time as you right-clicked, you moved the mouse ever-so-slightly.
Perhaps, like me, you are in a left-to-right text locale, and you
moved the mouse to the left by one or two pixels.

Dearly beloved, the mouse is outside the bathtub!  And it may be
that the ring encircling the words shall then be seen to vanish.

The significance of this is that if you should now release the right
mouse button, confident, O! so confident! in your expectation that a
new window shall shortly appear, full of sunshine and bash, you are
sadly, horribly, woefully mistaken.

What, you say will happen?

I will tell you.

That is what happens.

But you said nothing, I hear you object, tell me what happens!
And that is what happens - nothing.  For clicking outside the
bathtub doesn't even dislodge the soap.

I claim that the active areas of menu items should extend to the
left and right edges of the menu.

Am I mistaken in this desire? Is it a bug in the theme I use?
I have not reported this as a gnome 2 bug, in case it was a
deliberate design decision, so I am asking here.

Liam