Re: [Usability]Re: PATCH: Bug 82107, Turn off nautilus sidebar and location bar by default

Hi Seth,

On 1 Sep 2002, Seth Nickell wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 00:37, Damien Covey wrote:
> > I personally would hate to see the location bar go.  The dumbing down of
> > the interface is one reason that I have left WinXP behind me in
> > preference for Linux.  And even for "non advanced" users it is usefull
> > to have to location bar there.  How else can I obtain from a user over
> > the phone what directory they are in.  The answer "temp" doesnt really
> > help me much, it could be /home/user/temp/ or /temp.  I'm sure there are
> > other circumstances where this is the case.
>
> The answer is "Hold down the key with the words "ctrl" and press l". Or
> just have them go to view->location bar.

Yes, but that's also the answer to a problem that didn't exist before
people started trying to make nautilus look like the OS X Finder.

> Also, FWIW, ctrl-l's behavior is very convinent. You press it and it
> starts with the location bar text highlighted. You type what you want,
> and when you press enter it magically disappears again.

Yeah, it is kinda cute.

--
Math may be incomplete, but the world is inconsistent.
D. E. Watson