Re: [Usability]Re: PATCH: Bug 82107, Turn off nautilus sidebar and location bar by default

I'll add third that. If the location bar were turned off by default, my
first order of business when I first used Nautilus would be to turn it
back on.

If I were a new user in a Nautilus window and the sidebar and location
bar were off by default, I would be thinking where am I? Then if I
became familiar with it I would probably always expect to see the
nautilus window open at the same point because it would become the
reference point of how I find things. Mentally I might imagine "oh yeah,
this screen of pictures...then click here..."

A location bar gives another method of relating information and
remembering connections between places. Similarly, while I find the side
tab "edit with" buttons unaesthetic, and they may, in the short term, be
confusing, I think they help build into the user's expectation that
there are multiple ways of editing a file and more generally that there
are multiple ways of doing many tasks. I believe, facilitating this kind
of generalized thinking (ie. "I can edit this file with several
applications, which is the best one for what I need to do?") is a major
goal of usability. A large measure of the usability of something to a
user depends on how much the user understands it. The user's
understanding of a computer as a tool should follow the thought process
of "what do I need to do?" or "how can I best do this task?" rather than
"how do I do that again?" (ie. a memorized procedure) The how of doing
something, is the learned skill, not the end result, and it seems
reasonable to assume that this can take some time, teaching and
explanation apart from making the interface so simplistic that regular
tasks become more complex with it.

In my experience, if a user is scared by a location bar they would
ignore it. If they don't understand it and aren't curious they'll leave
it alone until someone explains something about it (ie. "it shows you
where you are" and then demonstrate deleting tail directories to jump
down directory levels quickly) or if they are curious they'll notice the
relationship of the location bar text changing when the left/right, up
arrows are used and learn its use intuitively.

As for the user expecting it to be a web browser, would it be possible
to take http:// requests and immediately open the default browser with
this address?

Patrick