Re: [Usability]preference handling

<quote who="Stephan Bayer"/>

> Often i read the need to give the user more settings.
>
> My idee,
> we use a gconf key which stores normal user or advanced user (Default is
> normal user).
> Now we add a config Dialog to the control center where the user can set
> this key.
>
> Every Application can read this setting and provide a Preference Dialog
> fitted for the user skills.
> If there is no need to do this (cause only 2 settings or no time, ...)
> the application should provide a dialog for normal users.

When used in eary Nautilus releases, this strategy was found to be very
frustrating for users, developers and everyone who had to support them. It
would be a very bad move to return to it.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
   "They are, as I told Telsa, all very small cheques. Indeed our cheques
   only come in one size, otherwise cheque books would be far too hard to