Re: [Usability]folder vs. directory

On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 15:15, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Why do we use folder instead of directory in applications like Nautilus?
> I assume that this was introduced to make it easier for people who used
> to run Windows on their computer.

No, it's because the real world analog of 'folder' (a manila folder) is
a better conceptual match for the things in Nautilus than the real world
analog of 'directory' (a phone book).  The reason legacy apps use
directory is because it's a closer match to the structures on the hard
disk.  From a UI/terminology perspective cd and pwd are broken, not
Nautilus.

Erik
--

email:erik.pukinskis uconn.edu