Re: [Usability]rhythmbox interface

Jorn Baayen wrote:

Hi,

The current Rhythmbox interface isn't very good, and we've been thinking
about improving it, but it's hard. So some input from you guys would
rule.

Current interface, with it's problems:
======================================
To begin with, for the people who have never run rb here is a
screenshot:
http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Files/ff.png

As you can see, there is a sidebar, which allows you to switch between
different views. This has a lot of problems:
1. The interface changes when clicking a button in the sidebar, just
like Evolution. My opinion is that it sucks, badly. I tend to remember
where items are in the menus, and if they get messed up all the time, I
get confused.

When I first used Rhythmbox I found it took me a while to figure out how to add a new group in the sidebar. I thought that it might be a good idea to be able to right click on the sidebar and choose an option "new category" or "new group", not sure which works better.

Then how to add music to Rhythmbox? There is no option when you right click on a group in the sidebar to add either "files" or "songs" or "music", nor can you do this in the blank list of songs. I think that you should be able to rightclick on either the list of files or the group in the sidebar itself to add music.

How about the idea of bringing up the file chooser to add music whenever a new goup is created?

2. The toolbar with the playback controls and the area with the
currently playing information are static; they don't change when
switching between views, and act on the playing view. This is really,
really confusing. Even though I wrote it, I still find myself being
dizzy when using it. (Just hiding these wouldnt work either: because it
still is playing. Or stopping playback is not an option either, since
you may just want to browse your playlists or do some organization.)
3. It's not obvious how to add songs to groups/playlists. (Right now you
have to dnd songs from the lib to the sidebar button, or use C&P)
4. Users cannot specify what song to play after the current one.
Playlists are not enough here; if you are playing from the library, you
want to be able to say which song is to play next.

What we need:
=============
1. The music library we have now
2. A way to specify what song to play after the current one

This is pretty much my only complaint. Along with finding where the current playing song is in my lists. But if we fix this then finding the current playing song wont matter so much.

3. Playlists (reorderable subsets of the library) [1]

As above.

4. A clean way to do this, without awkward views or stuff like that :)

Definately needed.
My thoughts are;
Add another group in the sidebar (probably at the top) and call it either "Queue" or "Playing". This list would only have the current playing song in it to start with but the option to queue either single songs or to queue entire groups/lists. I would like to be able to go to the group of the current playing song from here, so maybe a context menu with the option "go to current songs group" would be in order?

Things we have now, that will probably be moved out:
1. Audio CD. Got this in because we had the views stuff, but it prolly
belongs in a separate app. [For ripping we would ideally have nautilus
support browsing audiocds, and support copying oggs off it]
2. Internet radio. Same as above.
3. The sidebar :)

Please dont move any of these out. What I am looking for most in a media application is something that I can use to play any sort of audio I want. Whether it be CDAudio, MP3, Ogg, Streaming. I use rhythmbox because I know it plays music, whether it is mp3 or ogg or whatever, I would hate to have different apps for each different format, same for cd and internet raidio.

What other applications do:
===========================
1. WinAMP, basically supports everything but all in multiple windows and
with a totally ugly and confusing interface. Not something to get
inspiration from.
2. iTunes, does mostly the same as the current RB.
3. MP3Organizer [http://mp3organizer.sourceforge.net/], integrates
playlists and queueing by putting them next to the library.
4. Apollo [http://www.apolloplayer.org]. Has an interesting PlayFirst
feature, but it looks like a hack to me.
5. Squelch [http://rikkus.info/squelch.html]. Here you seem to mark
songs/albums for playback, instead of directly playing them, or
something.

Current Ideas:
==============
http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Files/blaat.png
http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Files/blaat2.png
http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Files/altblaat.png

The view on the left would be the song queue/playlist view.

The problem with these is that the interface is crowded; I dont think
it's very clear.

Another random idea is to have a "Queue" button or something, which
would append the selected songs to some song queue. (And not have the
song queue shown by default, but make it possible to open it in a new
window. This doesn't solve the playlist problem though.)

Thanks,
Jorn

[1] Seth: At least Luis wants reorderable playlists (for mix tapes and
the like), so groups like we have now don't suffice.