Re: [Usability]rhythmbox interface

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 20:32, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jorn Baayen">
>
> > > How about a little 'play' icon overlay on the playlist icon in the
> > > sidebar?  The white border shows you which one you're browsing, the
> > > (green) play triangle icon shows you which one is being played.
> >
> > Yeah, same thing as making the text bold (Which will probably the thing to
> > do if we stick with the sidebar, which I'll then replace with a plain
> > list)
>
> That might be worthwhile, as long as it's an obvious drop target. Please
> keep the sexy big icons though. ;-)

It'll be hard to make a less obvious drop target than the brown bar ;)
And the sexy big icons will have to be scaled down I'm afraid, if we're
going to use a list, since otherwise it's not of much use.

> > > (I was basing this on the real thing, not the mockups. The third box
> > > appears to be a list of tracks that would play in order. Covered in
> > > another email anyway.)
> >
> > Ooh, you mean just the list of songs? Yeah, it defines the order of play.
> > But you cannot specify another song to play after it, of a different
> > artist for example.
>
> True, but only if you've changed the list by choosing artist/album from the
> top two boxes. If you just have a big long list (most of the playlists will
> probably stay like that), you can reorder however you want.

Right.

> Hrm. Perhaps a queue of sorts would be better... Another 'special' playlist
> called 'Queue' (or a nicer word, preferably)? That kinda farts up the custom
> playlists though. Forget that, very nutty.

Well we need something like this ...

> My usage patterns pretty much amount to "play album in order", "shuffle my
> entire library", "play selection of tracks" and "shuffle selection of
> tracks"... So what I described in my earlier email would suffice for me.

Yeah, more or less the same here. But sometimes, when listening to
certain songs, I wish i could tell rb what song from the library to play
after this one. And then browse a bit more, and decide this particular
song should be played after that one finished, etc. Making a playlist
here won't work, since you are already playing from the lib and just
want to say what track to play after it.

> The Rhythmbox interface neatly simplifies that specification, too - it
> already handles "album" and "artist" as special "selections of tracks".
>
> Anyway, I reckon what you've got kicks arse already, so perhaps stabilise
> and release, then shift on to UI innovation once it's in user's hands and
> you have a better idea of the drawbacks and usage cases.

I'd rather have the UI right before going 1.0, you know how hard it is
to get something out that people have grown used to.

Cheers