Re: [Usability]Definition of "desktop" - was a Usability topic.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:10:19PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Havoc Pennington">
>
> > Not sure this involves GNOME really, other than GNOME using usermode if
> > present; moving usermode into GNOME just doesn't make sense, tons of
> > non-GNOME stuff uses it.
>
> Surely then, we can at least require it, and free everyone up to do the
> kinds of things we've been dilly-dallying about for yonks now?

I don't think you can require it unless it at least thinks about
building and working from tarballs on something other than Red Hat
Linux. Maybe it does, I don't know. It seems like other distributions
would have picked it up if it was trivial and it was something they
wanted to do... you can't force something like this on them.

Havoc