Re: [Usability]UI Review Suggestions - Panel & [Usability]some stuff for the ui-review of the gnome-panel

> Desktop Preferences:
> http://linuxserver.serveftp.net/linux/preferences.png

This screenshot is useful to show some problems with the current panel
menu layout. Instead of the large, very specific and top-level "Desktop
Preferences" menu as proposed wouldn't it make more sense to have a
top-level "Desktop" menu? Additionally, the current "Actions" menu is
very vague and limited in usefulness; since there seems to be a strong
emphasize on migrating to a Document-centric desktop wouldn't a
top-level Documents menu also organize things much more intuitively?

Here's how I would envision it:

Desktop
	Help
	Preferences
	Lock screen
	Log out
Applications
	Recent applications ...
	--- Separator ---
	Regular application layout ... *
	--- Separator ---
	Find an application
	Organize your applications
Documents
	Recent documents ...
	--- Separator ---
	Document locations here (ie. home, network servers)
	--- Separator ---
	Find a document
	Organize your documents

* Ignoring possible improvements to application menu organization for
now.

The only thing not covered by this layout that I see on the menus is
"Screenshot..." and I'm not sure why taking a screenshot is such a
prominent "Action" as opposed to being placed as an "Accessory" or
"Utility" or something of that nature so I left it out.

One benefit of the Applications & Documents menu shown above is that
they have parallel layouts:
	- recent
	- "locations" of where to find others
	- actions to perform on applications/documents

Organize your applications/documents would open a nautilus window
presumably.

The Desktop menu could have an icon-only menu title with a gnome foot or
a gnome foot on a desktop mat to save screen real-estate and "lessen its
importance" for regular usage since you typically wouldn't use it much.
Usability concerns might warrant a text description though... In either
case, dropping the applications menu icon might be useful. I think the
use of applets and launchers have made panel-level icons appear to me to
be stand-alone. As a result I still have times when I'm surprised that
clicking on the little red hat (substitute gnome foot or whatever your
distribution uses) in the corner brings up the applications menu - I
expect it to be distinct.

Patrick