Re: [Usability]Re: Tabs for Nautilus ?

Although I agree that the cost/benefit of implementing tabs in Nautilus may not be the most effective, my point was more that "in an ideal world", from a usability standpoint, it's my belief that the majority of apps should have the same navigational features in order to increase the ease of using Gnome (it is a collection of components that make up and environment, is it not?).

Of course, we're not in an ideal world so it may well cost too much to implement tabs in nautilus but I think the general goal should still stand; that if I can get to my information using a specific method in one app, I should be able to do the same in other apps if I'm performing a similar task such as reading documents.

The "should be addressed by the window manager" point of view, is not entirely clear to me.  Comparing/reading/viewing two or three documents (aka web pages) in a tabbed web browser feels natural to me and seems to be an acceptable functional design.  If I'm essentially doing the same thing with plain text (or abiword, gnumeric, etc) documents in nautilus, how is the task any different to warrant that it should be addressed by the window manager?  As a user sat in front of a computer, I'm not doing anything different?

'Twould be a pleasure to feel enlightened.

Steve