[Usability]Re: Gorilla and North [was Re: toolbar issues]

On 22 May 2002, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> Regarding icon themes. After reading alex's icon spec, my guess it that
> somewhere in the 2.2 to 2.4 time period, nautilus themes will completely
> dissapear in favor of more general icon theming mechanism anyway, since
> all apps will be able to use them. I hate the fact that nautilus has
> different mime icons than evolution which different mime icons than
> other apps, it's a source of bugs in the panel and in nautilus (seen it
> mentioned more than a few times in bugzila)...Hopefully in the future
> you'll just download a generic freedesktop compatible icon theme that
> will work with all your apps kde and gnome. Users will love us.

Initially the icon spec is mostly for defining the meaning of the Icon
field in the desktop file spec, but in the star-trek future the plan is
to use this for e.g. mimetype icons and probably even in gtk+ themes.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a sword-wielding coffee-fuelled firefighter with a robot buddy named
Sparky. She's a cosmopolitan tomboy barmaid who inherited a spooky stately
manor from her late maiden aunt. They fight crime!