[Usability]Re: The whole panel focus/keynav thing

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Calum Benson wrote:

> 4) Applets: we may have to shave a pixel or two off the heights of some
> applets to leave room to show a discernable focus indicator.  However,
> some of them already seem to have some padding around them, so hopefully
> we'll be able to minimise the amount of shaving we need to do :)  If we
> can still make the active area extend right to the edge of the screen
> for applets on edge panels, we will*.  But usability-wise it's slightly
> less important that this works for applets anyway, as in many cases
> there's not much to gain by just clicking on an applet-- you often need
> to click on a particular control or area inside the applet instead, so
> having the edge of the screen available as a big target doesn't really
> improve matters there.
>
> That is all... suggestions/objections to be filed in writing ASAP  :o)
>
> Cheeri,
> Calum.
>
> * Although this already seems to be broken for non-menu panels (e.g. the
> window list, which goes right up to the top of the screen if you stick
> it on the menu panel, but not right down to the bottom when it's on the
> bottom edge panel).

I spent a fair amount of time inventing ugly hacks to make the tasklist
use two rows on a 48 pixel panel, at least for most fonts. Please make
sure you don't break this.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lonely overambitious paramedic on the run. She's a virginal
cigar-chomping hooker prone to fits of savage, blood-crazed rage. They fight
crime!