Re: [Usability]Re: Nautilus preferences proposal

David Moles wrote:

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 08:34, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:

I.e. in the first case, parenthood is expressed horizontally; in the
second case, horizontally and vertically at the same time.  Once you get
used to it, I think the first one makes more sense and is actually nicer
to use.  (Also, trees in general kinda suck.)

I think we have at least two clear camps here, people who agree with
Ettore and people who feel exactly the opposite. :) (E.g., I think
trees in general kinda rock. :>)

I seriously doubt we're going to be able to show that one or the other
is a clear usability win, but I think there's probably room for a design
that would function well in either style.

Yes, tree views in most Linux GUI do suck. Ever notice how graphicaly clear and responsive
win explorer tree view is?
This is based on two very simple thing: a) Smooth scrolling b) auto scrolling and besides the point c) If you closed a window maximized, it re-runs maximized!! Blimey, that one bugs me.

b) auto scrolling is that rocking feature introduced in win95 where by:
*Upon a folder being 'expanded', if that folder contains enough folders to reach the bottom of the windows,
 the list will scroll.
*If the 'parent folder', the one jsut expanded, hits the top of the page...it stops scrolling.

Scrolls bar useage should be minimum. Am I the only one who *hates* scroll bars?

Patrick.