Re: [Usability]GNOME and GNU

Hi Richard,

I'm cc'ing the desktop-devel list, which has been recently discussing
the splash screen used by GNOME, so they'll see your suggestion. We
should certainely have a link to GNU somewhere the user will come across
it.

For GNOME 2.2 I've started writing a little "welcome to GNOME" program.
It will have a few tabs covering basic things about GNOME, sort of a
"well its installed, now what do I do?" document :-). I think we could
definitely talk about GNU, free software and of course freedom in one of
the tabs, especially since I plan to have one of the tabs have content
on GNOME development (and how to get involved and contribute).

Of course, what the user actually sees could potentially differ. As you
well know the GPL gives distributors power to make any modifications
they choose (and has no advertising clause, thank goodness),
unfortunately sometimes distributors are disrespectful of the time that
has gone into choosing good defaults and change things we'd rather not
have changed, but we can always yell at them when they do ;-)

It certainely seems like we could get something like this into at least
the Debian distribution of GNOME.

-seth