Re: [Usability] Webpage: Project Info

Hi, Seth

> Me. Is what you want a short HOWTO on the
> best way to help improve GNOME
> usability or something to that effect?

I think everything in your reply would be
helpful to someone who'd like to join GUP as
their first GNOME project, because it provides
a needed context and objective for newcomers
to apply themselves to.

Since I can't write a HOWTO, here's a possible alternative format -- though a more general
HOWTO may be better.

==================
About the Usability Project

creation of a <a href=http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/>User Interface Guide</a> (HIG) ...

We hope that some kind of HIG-compliance will become a requirement for all GNOME applications
and components.

We want usability to be taken seriously, and so
we need sensible GUP recommendations and a
unified voice, to maximize their potency.  To
that end, the GUP Leader (Seth Nickell) makes
the final decision on recommendations and
positions of GUP including, but not limited to,
the HIG's and website's content.

 how does that affect the software?

A.  If you can convince other people that your
issue is important, and enough
racket is made, developers will often make the
changes.  Sometimes, it takes convincing somebody with more influence with developers,
so that (s)he in turn convinces developers to make the change for you.

Q.  When I submit a bug report on
how does that affect the software?

A.  A Bugzilla report is generally more potent.
It informs the developer directly that somebody
found a problem (or thinks they did). Usability bug reports should have the "Usability" keyword set.  If you can convince them that something
is a usability problem, they're likely to change it.