Re: [Usability]"widget"

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 15:36, Mark Nelson wrote:
> Why Havoc?  It was already stated that in "Human Computer Interaction"
> the word defines the elemenets of the WIMP interface.  If it's good
> enough for them, why is it not good enough for us?  I really do want to
> know actually.  Is it just that you don't like the word because you
> think it's silly or unprofessional?  It really seems that this is why
> most people here don't like it, even if they try to hide that reason
> behind a thousand different arguements.  What does this really come down
> to?

Um.... his point was not that the word was silly. His point was that all
of us on this list have seen a lot of pointless, wasteful uses of bits,
but that this discussion may be the least useful and most wasteful of
them all. [Well, he didn't go that far but I am :)

GNOME has a fuckload of very real usability problems- why is this energy
not going into an UI review of applications or into completion of the
HIG or any of the million other ways GNOME needs usability help?

Luis