Re: [Usability]Adapting Metacity-Setup for GNOME2?

--- Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This isn't where I think we should go. I don't want
> to see the word
> "metacity" in the GUI.

Maybe it was too buried in my verbiage, but I had
suggested renaming the modified Metacity-Setup's
dialog to "Window Frame Appearance" or "Window Frame
Style."

The only circumstance where I suggested mentioning
"Metacity" in the GUI was in the case where Sawfish
was still the default window manager, and that was a
compromise. As I said before,

"In a GNOME2 setup with Metacity as the default window
manager, the menu entry for the dialog [now called
something like 'Window Frame Appearance'] could be in
the 'Desktop Preferences' submenu."

Obviously, such a setup would be a bad idea if Sawfish
were the default, since the dialog would be modifying
the wrong window manager, so I thought the marginally
less ugly way to handle the placing of the dialog
would be to do what was done with Sawfish's dialogs,
which was to put them in a submenu entitled with the
name of the window manager.

> Think about it as a user; you've never heard of
> "window manager"

I know. I know.

> "Window border theme" should be in the Theme
> capplet, "Titlebar font"
> in the Font capplet, key shortcuts already are in
> the key shortcuts
> capplet. We can have a "Window behavior" capplet or
> something with
> focus mode.
>
> There's a framework in the capplets to present these
> settings while
> supporting multiple WMs, so this approach doesn't
> lock us in to
> metacity.

Are you referring to GConf or future features of the
current dialogs?

=====
-- I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool. --