Re: [Usability] [Fwd: shortcuts to move between desktops/workspaces]

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 07:20, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought we'd decided that there is one "desktop/viewport thingy"
> which is called a Workspace and it contains no rows or columns or
> viewports or desktops or ... ;-)

The important thing is the term; "Workspaces". I think having Workspaces
be geometrically contiguous is better than the current setup, because it
gives a physical analogy to the operation. I don't think things like the
panel cause a real conceptual problem here, they are like things glued
onto the piece of glass you are looking at the workspace through. The
important thing is that having geometric connection provides an
accessible conceptual model so users feel like there's a tangible space
to their desktop.

Disjunct spaces with no physical relation isn't a very common phenomenum
in the real world.

-Seth