[Usability] Re: [HIG] Decision: instant apply window buttons

Hi Seth,

I think it's great that you based this decision on user testing
data. I am also somewhat disappointed that many subsequent posters on
this thread ignored your user testing and claimed lack of a close
button would confuse Windows users, when your tests seem to show this
is not the case.

On the other hand, two of your test subjects did experience minor
temporary confusion. And I doubt anyone would be confused by the
presence of a close button, even if it were strictly speaking
superfluous.

So maybe it's OK to go the other way on this, so long as we pick one
approach and stick to it.

As for the general issue of trying to be like Windows - I think there
is actually some virtue in being intentionally different. Many GNOME
users probably choose it in part because it _is_ different from
Windows. Similarly, I think many Mac users choose the Mac because it's
different.

The only kinds of differences that _really_ drive me nuts switching
back and forth between GNOME and Mac OS X are the differences in
behavior which are not immediately visible. For instance, the OS X
dock has launch-once-then-raise-window semantics, compared to the
GNOME panel's "launch on each click". But visible things like presence
or absence of buttons - I never even noticed.

 - Maciej

P.S. As for Tog - do you really want to listen to a man who thinks
that 1 is a prime?