Re: [Usability] Hiding Viewports

On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 13:53, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2002, Seth Nickell wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 09:34, John Sheehan wrote:
> > >
> > > The omission of viewports from the new Workspace List applet
> > > is definitely a positive step to a more simple usable desktop.
> > >
> > > However there are still remnants of viewport functionality
> > > via the Control Centre whereby users can create viewports
> > > and allow access to them by edge flipping.
> > >
> > > In the current port of the Sawfish capplet, is there any
> > > agreement that the two viewport options in the Control Centre
> > > Workspace tabs be omitted i.e. don't cut out out Viewport
> > > functionality from Sawfish, just don't allow it to be accessed.
> >
> > I don't know if it will be possible for this release, but we would
> > really like to ditch all the Sawfish capplets. The generic "Window
> 		       ^^^
>
> Which all? There is just one sawfish capplet, the menu entries are all
> just different invocations of teh same capplet with different parameters.

Whatever, it has a rather large number of entries in the menu system and
they look like independent capplets to the user. This is like saying
that all the GenUtil applets are really one big applet, its silly and
makes a distinction users never see.

> > Properties" capplet is not finished though, so we may be stuck with
> > sawfish capplets for one more release (oh well).
> >

> Why would desktop propeties (like say the number of workspaces) be set by
> a capplet called window propeties? We are also very badly running into
> beta with the introduction of new code if we introduce the new window
> propeties capplet...

It wouldn't be. The number of workspaces is set by selecting properties
on the workspace switcher "applet" menu. We just can't get rid of
Sawfish capplets entirely until some of the functionality is in other
capplets, and the big one that's missing right now is the window
properties capplet.

-Seth