Re: [Usability]GNOME personas

Really, really, read the book. At worst it'll give you some insight into
the sort of crack I like to smoke (and maybe give you some ideas on how
to best contain me), at best it will change your opinions about how
software should be written.

I do think its fair to provide a caveat: Alan Cooper is not god, and I
as well as a lot of other interaction designers think a few of his ideas
are flakey. A bible on interaction design the book ain't, but it is a
good layman's introduction to interaction design, more interesting to
read than other works I know of on the subject, and most importantly,
fairly convincing.

Plus, since we intend to at least experiment with Cooper's personas, you
might as well get it from the horses mouth ;-) Cooper's personas are
only one of hundreds of techniques for achieving the goals of
interaction design. While I don't think they're the best design tools in
an "ideal world", I think personas do the best job of functioning within
a system that is not already design driven (which GNOME is about
opposite from). Also, they retain more "bazaar" qualities than most
other interaction design techniques because they don't involve a lot of
jargon or require a ton of background knowledge.

If you already buy the party line, an altogether less convincing but
more detailed exposition of the techniques and theory of interaction
design can be found in the text-book like "Interaction Design" by
Preece, Rogers et al.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471492787/qid=1040617691/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-9810685-5647165?v=glance&s=books

For the lazy and wealthy, "Inmates..." can be purchased at:
Barnes & Noble:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2WF3PUOOMA&isbn=0672316498
Half.com (used):
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1385494&meta_id=null
Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672316498/qid=1040616812/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9810685-5647165?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Amazon.com "marketplace" (other vendors, new & used):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/0672316498/all/ref=dp_bb_a/104-9810685-5647165

For the honest hard-working poor, try a library ;-)

New, "Inmates.." will cost about 20$ + S&H, used, about $13 + S&H. If
you're an established GNOME hacker and can't afford this, I might be
willing to buy you a copy because I think this is so important to GNOME.
But do note that I am a poor unemployed student who takes out thousands
of dollars in loans each quarter, so I'd rather this not be abused.

-Seth