Re: [Usability]Looking for UI ideas for a gnome IDE

On 31 Aug 2002 01:37:03 +0200
Daniel Borgmann <daniel liebesgedichte net> wrote:

> What about a sidepane-treeview instead of tabs? It could make opening
> the files you want very simply (by providing a tree of documents which
> belong to your project) or show all currently loaded windows in a
> special category, however.

That's an interesting idea. I've done a quick mockup (pitty you can't
edit tree view widgets in glade - had to fake it).

http://www.coutts.uklinux.net/duncan/hIDE/hide-gui2.glade
http://www.coutts.uklinux.net/duncan/hIDE/screenshot.png

> Hmm, maybe it would even be a good idea to split the main and "content"
> window like in Delphi (or Gimp).

I think so, allow multiple windows each with their side pane (which you
can shrink), and a top level menu / toolbar windows for project /
program wide commands.

This also allows multiple view into the same file / buffer. Just open
two windows and select the same page.

> Just some brainstorming, maybe it inspires you to something. ;)

Thanks a lot.

Feedback welcome. Do other people think this makes good sense?
Is it better than tabs & docked windows?

Duncan