[Usability]Re: Looking for UI ideas for a gnome IDE

Just to reply toy myself...

So I admit that I'm talking about doing a MDI interface, which is
apparently bad. The reason for this is that in my experience as a
developer, tabs are easier than top level windows when you've got lots
of files/buffers open.

I used to use TextPad on Windows and I found the tabs in that much
better than more recently when I've been using nedit (which does all top
level windows), even though I'm using a nice WM that helps to align
windows.

On the other hand it is important sometimes to be able to view two
windows at once, and split window editors have never agreed with me.

So the option to do both seems important, like in galeon, however the
way galeon allows tabs to be pulled off doesn't seem intitive to me.

Duncan