[Usability]File renaming/extensions/GNOME discussions

Hello,
on Tue, 2002-08-20 at 18:23, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
As you already said, Windows shows file extensions for many files anyway
(I think it shows it for everything but a selected few but not sure,
didn't use it long). Now think about it, in Unix we are already used to
not give our binaries and textfiles silly .exe or .txt extensions. Where
is the big difference? The only big difference I see is that in Windows,
multimedia/archive files also show no extension. Like image and music
files.
But for those, the extensions shows a very important information: The
codec that was used to create the file and that is needed to open it.
Maybe this case could be handled differently, not showing the file
ending but the codec on the icon (dynamically so we aren't screwed when
an icon is missing) or whatever.

The problem, as I understood it from Tue, 2002-08-20 at 17:37, Daniel Borgmann(Of course it

is, but things are completely different on Windows (can't talk about OS X). First and

foremost, every file has an extension, it's not optional. If you save a textfile as README.it,

it will actually be saved as README.it.txt. Also extensions are always single and they are

always used to determine the filetype, never to actually be an informative part of the name.

That's why hiding them makes perfect sense in a DOS world, but to make this usefull in a Unix

world, you would have to do the same, forcing file extensions on every file (also special

cases like tar.gz would have to be taken care of) and I believe that's exactly the
opposite of your intention. ;))is that when all files need to be hide in Unix all Unix-files

have to have an extension.

Is it possible to just give the multimedia-files, for which the codec is an important

information, an extension? There wouldnīt be a need to hide the extensions of the

non-multimedia-files, with the need to give all the files an extension, but to just give the

multimedia-files an extension. Could this be reached by an automatical program code, which

says that all multimedia-files should have an extension or manually everytime a multimedia

file is created there is an option to give it an extension.

I think the variation with the codec be shown in the icon would be more elegant, possibly with

just one letter(for example Freenet.de Super, the provider with which Iīm surfing in the

Internet uses a grey icon with a lighter grey S in the darker grey and a thin red line running

through the S). It would suggest, that all multimedia-files of a certain kind are programmed

with an certain icon, which expresses its codec.

This afternoon I imagined whether it would be possible of more people discussing about GNOME

than now are doing. I donīt understand much about informatics, but I understood what you were

discussing at the 18th/19th of august 2002, whether all functions(even setting the clock in

GNOME)do need a root status. Iīd like to create a website where I would describe what is

discussed in the GNOME usability mailing list[I could also describe what is discussed at the

GNU project, or at opencores(where they create hardware with open software principles)or at

the OSCar Project(where they create a car with open software principles)], or I could publish

the texts of the mails of the GNOME usability mailing list directly(possibly in the original

or/and translated into German). People visiting the website would read the themes or the texts

of the discussion and would write their opinion about it(for example some people possibly

could have an opinion whether all functions of GNOME, even setting the clock, would need a

root user). Maybe itīs even possible to describe how to compose your own Linux(I myself bought

a SuSe Linux package because I donīt know what parts I need to compose my own linux), and

links for "download gnome" and "download y", "download z" for the parts you have to have to

run linux on your pc. After downloading all the parts even more people could join linux and

the discussions.

I could translate the opinions of the people into english(at least from german to english, for

other languages I would have to use translations programs like babelfish)and Iīd like to bring

these opinions in the GNOME usability mailing list. Many people writing opinions on a website

would bring more ideas into the GNOME usability mailing list than a single person could

joining the maling list.

I donīt know what the rest of the website should look like. I would like to create a website,

which enables many people to join the discussion. I donīt know how this could be possible,

with a website with the themes of the discussion, or to make this website public(without

commmercial advertisements)(in search engines?). I like colourful pictures and I like it

humane, and thatīs why I imagined a website like this this afternoon(I hope itīs not to

ideological): It should be a website where a humane society looks possible(thoughts about

having possibilities and making something possible I read in the book "Das Prinzip Hoffnung"[I

would the title tranlate this way: "The principle hope"](Frankfurt am Main:Suhrkamp 1959)of

the philosopher Ernst Bloch). I also like the colourful pictures and humanism of the "Star

Trek"-series. With the new series "Enterprise" I like the credit titles and the song["Itīs

been a long road gettinī from there to here, itīs been a long time but my time is finally

near. I will see my dream come alive at last. I will touch the sky and youīre not gonna hold

me down no more, no, youīre not gonna change my mind, īcos Iīve got faith of the heart, Iīm

going where my heart will take me, Iīve got faith to believe, I can do anything, Iīve got

strength of the soul, no oneīs gonna fend or break me, I can reach any star, Iīve got faith,

Iīve got faith, faith of the heart."[In: "Enterprise. Aufbruch ins Unbekannte[pilot "Broken

Bow"]". Los Angeles: Paramount Pictures Corporation. Theme by Diane Warren. Performed by

Russell Watson. 2001]. The music is great, but I donīt like some notions like "strength",

because they donīt show how human beings can work at a humane society, but theyīre just

spreading words people can believe in. I like the pictures of the credit titles(especially

Charles Lindbergh, the sea charts deceived over the pictures of human beings on a ship,

astronauts,...). But I wouldnīt like to use the song or the pictures of the series

"Enterprise", because the series was broadcasted specially into the aircraft-carrier U.S.S.

Enterprise coming back from the war in Afghanistan. Later three soldiers, which are nominated

as "sailors of the year" by the US-Navy appeared in the "Enterprise"-episode "Desert Crossing"

and the "Enterprise"-executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga thanked them personally

for the engagement of the real U.S.S. Enterprise in the fight against terrorism[the last two

events has been reported in the sci-fi magazine "Space View"(no. 3/2002, may/june 2002,

Königswinter: Heel Verlag GmbH 2002, p. 10)]. Human beings have been murdered in Afghanistan

and I donīt like that people being in the war in Afghanistan are honored by the Star Trek

producers.

The theme mentioned before, making a humane society possible, should be on the website in some

other way. Ernst Bloch wrote in "Das Prinzip Hoffnung" that it isnīt that important to search

for better worlds in space among the stars, but to work for a humane society here and now("The

distant blinking lights let human beings to look above first, the sky with stars is a

prototype of peace, eminence, serenity, but on earth this picture is a task and an aim - hic

Rhodus, hic salta, here is the dome, go up here." ["Das Prinzip Hoffnung", a.a.O., p. 918, my

translation]. Hic Rhodus, hic salta said a man to another man, because the second man said

that he want to jump into the air in Rhodos, and the first man said to him that Rhodos is here

and that he can jump now. I doesnīt have to look at the stars and dream of a better, more

humane world, a better future, but I take part in the GNOME usability mailing list with other

human beings here and now, other human beings take part in the GNU project or/and at

Oekonux(the principles of open software in non-digital areas such as opencores or the

OSCar-project). I would use the "making possible a humane society" in this Bloch-sense. I

thought of the song "Imagine" by John Lennon["imagine thereīs no heaven, itīs easy if you try,

no hell below us, above us only sky, imagine all the people, living for today...imagine

thereīs no countries it isnīt hard to do nothing to kill or die for no religion too imagine

all the people living life in peace...imagine no possessions i wonder if you can no need for

greed or hunger a brotherhood of man imagine all the people sharing all the world...you may

say iīm a dreamer but iīm not the only one i hope someday youīll join us and the world will be

as one."("Imagine" by John Lennon, EMI Records Ltd. 1971, song no. 1). So I thought of the

line "Hereīs no heaven, jump now" for my website. I could connect texts with pictures like it

is done in the "Enterprise"-credit titles, but in a humane way - the text of the manifesto of

the communistic party(written 1847 and published 1848 by the philosopher and politicians Karl

Marx and Friedrich Engels)with pictures of demonstrating workers, the student leader Rudi

Dutschke at a blackboard with demonstrating people at the end of the 1960s, the murdered human

being at the demonstration in Genua 2001 with demonstrating people today, but also humane

alternatives - pictures of the businessman and social reformer Robert Owen and his humane

settlements at the begin of 19th century, the text of the GNU Manifesto with pictures of Linux

on a PC. This mixture of pictures and documents could be at the rest of the website. Possibly

these pictures and textes are a bit to solemn, possibly it would be better to do it with

humour and self-irony(like it is done in the first episodes of the science fiction-series

"Sliders"(four people travel through worlds, where history went in another way), for example

the old lady in the episode "Summer of love", who states, that she "doesnīt allow sympathizing

with the outback-kong"(fifth "Sliders"-Episode("Reise durch das Zeitloch")[original

title:"Summer of love"], written by Tracy Tormé, Los Angeles: a St. Clare Entertainment

production in co-operation with Universal Television 1995, my translation), in the flat, she

wants to hire out. This is, because "America lost the battle in the pacific in the second

World War and Japan occupied Australia. When the Nazis capitulated, the Russians came into

operation in the war in the pacific and helped to free North Australia, but never gave it

back. Now the north combats the south."[this way Quinn Mallory, one of the persons travelling

through worlds, explains the conflict in the episode "Reise durch das Zeitloch"(a.a.O.)].
What do you think of all this?

Cheers,
Knud
WEB.DE MyPage - Ultimatives Kommunikationstool! Ihre Message sofort
online! Domain aenderbar! http://www.das.ist.aber.ne.lustige.sache.ms/