[Usability]Re: Gnome2 Post-install quirks

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 16:12, William C. Archibald wrote:
> Quirk #1: "Start Here" object doesn't exist on desktop background. I
> can get to it via Nautilus, so it isn't really a big deal, but... Have
> I missed something obviously needed to get it to show up?

It was removed from the standard desktop some time ago. Others should be
able to reply to you more exactly to this, though.

> Quirk #2: After a couple of successive updates from Red Carpet,
> I noticed that each update makes minor changes to my "Applications"
> menu. Items like the "Desktop Preferences" or the item to manage
> the xscreensaver either disappear (!) or are rearranged on my
> behalf. What's up w/ this?

So you are using Ximian GNOME preview... ;) That is a alpha/beta quality
distribution intended for testing, not exactly a dot-zero nicely
packaged GNOME distro. You should expect minor changes as the nightly
builds reflect corrections from every change by GNOME and Ximian
developers. I, for example, recompile profterm every time a download
from red carpet because the VTE widget is very slow on my computer.

If you want a more mainstream package, try with GARNOME, it should be
more stable.

Regards,

David