Re: [Usability]Re: User Managment

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 03:11, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> writes:
> > That way, one would just add "gnome-super-user-helper foobar" in the
> > .desktop file, and could rely on that function being present.
>
> That doesn't work at all with PAM (though it doesn't necessarily break
> anything either as we can make "gnome-super-user-helper" do nothing).
> However Red Hat and derived distributions are normally using PAM for
> this stuff so would not use any upstream GNOME feature. Solaris also
> has PAM afaik.
>
> For current Red Hat rawhide we have a timestamp-based "remember
> password" feature for PAM, so you can sort of "assume superuser
> privileges," causing a special icon to appear in the system tray, and
> run config tools without a password for a set time.

You didn't understand me I think. This helper would just launch
whichever front-end to your nice "graphical su". On my machine for
example, I would set it up so that it launched gnome-sudo. Gnome-sudo
would take care of the PAM stuff (actually, it would probably be sudo in
that case).

Fancy system tray button is a plus, probably depending on the graphical
su being used.

This has nothing to do with PAM, just as a way to tell 3rd-party setup
tools developers that there is some way to get their app launched as
root easily, and in a way that would work across all the GNOME
platforms. (after that, it would depend on if a graphical su was
available for that platform, and if the setup tool even had any use on
the platform, of course).

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera