Re: [Usability]Eugenia's UI review/mockup

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 11:13, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> >Specific changes you want that you can't do with themes?
>
> I am not going to list all the 25-30 changes I made there to ask if
> something can be really done via a simple theme, or via real C code, or via
> GTK+ changes. I do not program for GTK+ so I am not very familiar with it.
> For example, can you via a simple theme, to make the File/Edit/Help menu
> showing in the shot, have the same color as the buttons and the rest of the
> widgets, and have these 4 pixels off in its corners, making it look like an
> individual view?

The "Aqua" pixmap theme for Gtk2 actually has different backgrounds for
the menubar and of course you can have different colored buttons. As for
"making it look like an individual view", the menubar (and toolbars) of
the default Gtk2 theme already have a beveled border so they got you
pretty much covered. ;)
The Aqua theme also has a different looking tabview so this should be
possible as well (I'm talking about the different color).
The only thing I'm not sure is a different background color for groups.
But I'm not even sure if that's a good thing when we already have bold
group headers, also it would be useless for groups inside of tabviews.

> Honestly, I am more familiar with the Qt themes and code, and I know for
> example, that to change the border colors of each system widget you want you
> need to write serious code, and you can't even change the color of the
> non-selected tabs (QT decides for its color, based on the color of the
> selected tab). Except if you are using bitmaps of course, which is  not
> something I would like to use...

Using pixmaps is a good way to design a theme as it's easy, powerfull
and with Gtk2 it's also very fast. Once it's finished, someone could try
creating a "native" version of this theme.

- Daniel