Re: [Fwd: Re: [Usability]List policy, usability leadership, mission statement [Was: "widget"]]

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 09:39 PM, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Nils Pedersen <n p sun com> writes:
Now I'm not really sure what 5% of the desktop market Havoc was
talking about, so this is where things get hypothetical...

I suppose this is off-topic, but just to toss out an opinion, I think
it's a 5% where:

 a) they are real desktop users - i.e. usability and desktop features
    are relevant to them - i.e. not techie/workstation users; otherwise
    you're "cheating" and not really making progress.

 b) they don't need third-party native GUI ISV apps, just some
    web-based apps or Java stuff, plus the things we can already offer
    such as Mozilla, office apps, Evolution. (but they probably need
    to work in a mostly-Windows company.)

 c) they have a system administrator managing their desktop machine
    for them

Very hypothetical, though, indeed.

Havoc