Re: [Usability]Re: Nautilus preferences proposal

On 29Apr2002 07:03PM (-0400), Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 23:31, Alex Larsson wrote:
> > > 7. Sidebar panels: only complaint i have is that it kind of makes no
> > > sense to include files in our current tree view. If we were to
> > > reimplement the tree view like macos well than it would always make
> > > sense to include files.
> >
> > Lots of eazel people complained when we tried to even change the default
> > for this, so I think we'll keep it.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to have the files both in the sidebar and
> the main view -- it's just confusing.  What was Eazel's rationale for
> that?

I'm the one who did it that way originally, and at first it was an
arbitrary decision. It did turn out to be somewhat useful, though, for
two reasons. First, it's a nice quick way to move files. Second,
Nautilus has the ability to view some types of files, such as text
files and images, in-line, so you can use the feature to step through
a folder full of images without having to go back to the directory in
the main view every time.

I have to admit that few people realize this is even possible,
though. So maybe a good start would be to toggle the setting and see
what the ratio of complaints to accolades is.

> On the other hand, it would be cool to just use a tree view instead of
> the list view for the normal view...  The way MacOS has done for quite a
> while now.

It was always the long-term plan to make the list view into an outline
view. I think this would be an excellent improvement, but it's way too
late for GNOME 2.0 I think.

 - Maciej