[Usability]Re: Nautilus preferences proposal

On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 16:24, Alex Larsson wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2002, David Emory Watson wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 15:59, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> > > The problem is that nautilus isn't a web browser, it could be, I really
> > > really hope it can be one, but right now it's just not. The primary
> > > purpose of nautilus is a file browser.
> >
> > My conception of nautilus: it is a framework for viewing things.  The
> > fact that things in UNIX are "files" is not important.  What is
> > important is that nautilus allows the user to view and access data.  The
> > location of that data (i.e. local or remote) should not be relevant.
>
> I agree with this in part. But it is not only about viewing things. It's
> also about managing files. Copying them, renaming them, moving them,
> arranging them etc. We need to concentrate on these parts to, if we are
> ever gonna be an alternative to just using the shell.

Absolutely.  And if we ever reach a point where managing data conflicts
with viewing data (whether for functional reasons or a lack of developer
resources) then we might have to make some pretty tough choices.  :(
Fortunately I don't think that this has happened yet.  :)

Either way, you were right on the mark when you said awhile ago: this is
definitely post 2.0 material...