Re: [Usability]Re: Actions menu (was 'Capplets' and 'background/font capplets'))

On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 17:52, David Moles wrote:
> I think one reason the apple menu worked for MacOS was that it
> was originally the *only* icon on the menu bar. Since the panel
> is full of icons, the gnome-foot just isn't distinctive enough.

I don't see the bare footprint as being any different from the other
icons here -- it would help if the tooltip said something like,
Gnome main menu for starting programs
or something.

There is no need for icons to be familiar to people a priori;
what matters is that they are distinctive and memorable, and that
there's a safe and obvious way to learn what they mean.

Liam