[Usability]question

Hi there!

I noticed Nautilus associates files with their extensions. I'm not sure
if it's the best and only way to do it, or if this is linked to
gnome/gtk libs and/or functions.

I believe the "file" command is available in all UNIX systems. Couldn't
Nautilus (again, not sure if it's specific to Nautilus) use file to
determine the type of file it's supposed to handle (via magic number)
and then look for the proper MIME entry?

I'm not sure on how much work this could possibly represent, but I find
the use of extensions "unnatural" to users who come from Mac (Classic)
environments.

Best,

Rafael.