Re: [Usability] Keyboard navigation- outstanding issues

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 08:32:40PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> Add
> a couple of normally sized tezt fields to a dialog and you will easily
> end up in more than a hundred presses on the right arrow key to move
> completely through the dialog.

Good point.

> On the other hand, if we expect the user to press Tab to move to another
> control, why not just do as the user wants, instead of using a tooltip
> to tell him that he did WRONG in expecting it to work that way?

I was thinking that if Tab works outside of text fields, users might
wonder why it doesn't work inside of text fields. So for simplicity and
consistency we should use the arrow keys instead. But then people who are
used to Tab will wonder why it doesn't work. So we would tell them.

But anyway that's irrelevant now because you've persuaded me that arrow
keys are a bad idea. :0)

Michael