[Usability]Re: An alternative proposal for instant-apply vs. non-instant-apply [amended]

On 7 Sep 2001, Oliver Logghe wrote:
> > I probably should've just left button labels out, but then much of
> > this wouldn't make sense.  But please keep that in mind.
>
> Heh, finding just the right (English) word seems to be an ongoing
> problem here, but it often clouds the real issues. Is there an English
> language translation group? Maybe there ought to be, obviously it would
> not function quite the same as other translation groups, but something
> like that would really be the best place to decide the best wording for
> buttons and the like. Debates about wording have cropped up from time to
> time, but since it is really tied to English localization and also needs
> to be done on an app by app basis for application specific strings, it
> seems like such a group would be a more appropriate venue.

I think what you are looking for is really the GDP (GNOME Documentation
Project). They are the English experts, and they are also in charge of the
GNOME word list, and those will most likely be used as the terminology
recommendations for GNOME applications.

However, when it comes to buttons and menus I think we need expertize on
both areas (English and usability), since the labelling of buttons is
closely tied to what buttons and functionality we actually recommend, and
in the end, provide. ;-)

Christian

PS. There is in fact an English translation team (British English). Well,
s/team/person/. ;) DS.