Re: GNOME 2.0 Must Fix Item #6 - Logging in/out

On 05Sep2001 10:00PM (-0700), Seth Nickell wrote:
> > * OK button doesn't conform to new dialog standards (should be Login,
> > Start or something like that)
>
> "Log In" seems good for now...
>
> > * Should display username entry and password entry at same time.
> > (According to George this may not be a good thing because of PAM)
>
> While theoretically there may be no password, I have yet to find a
> system where this is true. Thus I vote that we suggest the default be to
> have username and password at the same time, but to provide an option in
> gdm.conf for "plain PAM" so that hardcore sysadmins using their magic
> bugawunga PAM module can have things work right.

Havoc suggested doing a hack-around for this as well actually. I think
your suggestion of a config setting makes a lot of sense - the
password field can just be ignored if the setting is not set and PAM
never asks for a password.

It is still possible that there will be more questions after you have
logged in (if your time-limited password has expired for instance),
but I think account-management questions like that are best asked in a
separate dialog rather than in a login dialog.

 - Maciej