Re: Comments on dialog proposal

Christian Rose wrote:
> Yes, and that's my point. "OK" implies "apply these changes and close
> the dialog". But they have already been applied, so what does "OK" in
> this case really do? That may not be entirely clear to the user.

What difference would it make if the button *did* apply the settings and
close the dialog, instead of just closing the dialog? Absolutely none,
since those settings are already in force. Perhaps User A is aware that
the settings are already in force, and User B is not. There is no
difference between what User A would expect the OK button to do
(settings already applied, just close the dialog) and what User B would
expect it to do (apply the settings, close the dialog). Either way, you
end up with the same settings. So who is going to be confused?

Let me put it this way: in a dialog that doesn't instantly apply
changes, there is often an Apply button and an OK button.

Q: If you hit Apply and then OK, does the OK button apply the settings
again before it closes the dialog?
A: Who cares? What difference does it make?

Michael