Re: [Usability] user levels, etc.

On Monday, November 12, 2001, at 06:22 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
On Mon, 2001-11-12 at 21:09, Adam Elman wrote:
On Monday, November 12, 2001, at 05:44 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
It has a selection bias towards the uneducated and inexperienced (the
educated and experienced have better things to do than sit and play with
boxes while being watched.)
[...]

Have you ever actually done or attempted to do any user testing?

Nope. Done some political psychology research, though, which bears a
strong resemblance in terms of finding focus groups and/or larger bodies
of people. And yes, there is a large body of research that indicates
that more or less no matter how hard you try and how nice you are there
are inherent selection biases at work whenever you try to find such a
group.

OK. I'll grant you that there are inherent selection biases in any kind of "people-focused" research.

The truth is, however, that in usability testing it's usually possible to get very good results with a very small number of people. There is a lot of usability literature that indicates that you tend to get most of the same results for a reasonably well-chosen group of, say, 3-5 people as for a much larger group. This is not, of course, true of psychology or political polling.

It is also heavily dependent on what is being tested. If you're really testing usability, i.e. whether people can accomplish the tasks you've asked them to accomplish using your interface, and whether they find it pleasant, then what I said holds. If you're looking for aesthetic opinions, or trying to test longer-term issues (such as the long-term preference of ~/ vs. ~/Desktop), then a skewed population makes a big difference.

I _do_ disagree with your suggestion that there is a _strong_ bias towards the "uneducated and inexperienced." As I said, I've never had trouble recruiting a few educated and experienced people to do a user test. The skew only really matters when you're dealing with much larger groups, which most usability testing does not need.

That said, I'm not trying to imply that user testing is useless. Skewed,
yes, but still very, very useful. I'm not trying to take away tools from
the arsenal- just trying to stress that all tools have inherent
limitations everyone should be up front about.

Sure. I think you're right that user testing is not a good way to test for long-term issues, but wrong that the bias issue really makes that big a difference.

Making stuff more usable for hackers will make stuff more usable for
anyone, and vice versa.  It's a false dichotomy.

As long as we're agreed on this I think we're all on the same page.

I just don't think everyone is on the same page about it, and I wanted
to raise the red flag, because I see a strong tendency to jump at the
alluringly simple 'remove options' argument before they even think about
other solutions to the problem. As long as we give good, hard, long
thought to the other options (as you said, using /all/ the tools) then
I'll be perfectly satisfied and quit my whining :)

Yep. I think it's possible to read your original email as saying that there is no such thing as a "useless preference," which I think we can both agree is not true. But to figure out which preferences (features, etc.) are actually useful and which aren't, we do need to use all the tools in the arsenal, and I agree that we need to do so knowing their limitations.

Which goes back to my original point: I think having an "advanced user preferences" dumping ground is fine, but I think developers need to take responsibility for designing their preferences well in the first place so that useful prefs won't end up in the dumping ground, and useless prefs won't end up anywhere. And that means thinking through all the options.

So yeah, I think we're on the same page.

Adam