Re: [Usability] user levels, etc.

On 12Nov2001 03:11PM (-0800), Adam Elman wrote:

> MacOS X has an interesting approach to this: a little lock icon is
> showed on any dialog which requires admin access.  If you want to change
> settings, you first have to click the lock icon and enter the root
> password; it then enables the controls.  I think it's somehow using sudo
> underneath, but I'm not sure.

This was a discussion topic on some GNOME list recently. I can't find
a link in the archives right now, but in brief, it's not using sudo,
and it doesn't necessarily require the root password (just the
password of a user in the admin group).

I think it's a fairly good design and could probably be implemented on
top of PAM by someone with enough time.

 - Maciej