[Usability] Re: Maximized windows should conform to Fitt's law

On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 01:13, Roland Seuhs wrote:
> http://bugs.kde.org/db/32/32537.html
>
> What do you think of this idea?

As has already been stated, a more appropriate approach to mile high
menus is to use a global menubar. Technical issues aside, the
inconsistency in titlebar location is a loss, even aside from potential
confusion. When users switch tasks, it is important to establish
reference points for window searches, and having the titlebar anchored
on the LHS of the titlebar is one such hint.

I *can* think of one useful application of Fitt's law to maximized
windows that doesn't seem to be exploited in either KDE or GNOME. By
placing scrollbars flush with the screen edge they can be grabbed
passively.

When I grab my mouse after I've been typing for a while I only "sense"
it passively in my peripheriral vision. I don't actually have to look
for it because I've learned its physical location and my hand has enough
accuracy to consistently reach it. Physical objects are very forgiving
because I can hit part of the mouse and use touch to grab it perfectly.

Because screen objects don't provide feedback such as touch, things like
using the screen edge become important. With scrollbars I currently have
to look to the edge of the screen to grab them and drag down. This is
bad because I'm usually engaged in another activity such as reading
text, and would rather keep reading, grab the mouse without looking and
scroll down without looking. If the scrollbars were on the actual edge
of the screen you could easily grab them without looking, which would be
a nice benefit.

-Seth

 | GNOME Usability Project lead  -  http://usability.gnome.org |
 | Nautilus hacker               -  http://nautilus.eazel.com  |