[Usability] Re: Where the mouse is when I'm reading (no relevance to UI design that I am aware of)

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Raja R Harinath wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alex Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:
> > I do it all the time in the webbrowser. Nowhere else though.
>
> That's probably because most browsers don't have a reasonable
> \baselinestretch, in TeX parlance.  The distance between adjacent
> baselines is pretty much the height of the tallest character + a
> couple of pixels, at best.  This give the page a cramped appearance,
> and we lose track of where we're reading.  We need other cues to keep
> our position on the page.  Another reason may be that we're not used
> to reading scrolling text, where the text moves and you lose your
> position on the page.  Again, the selection acts as an anchor.

Not at all. I just have problem holding the mouse without doing something
with it. I select some text and then i drag up and down with the mouse.
Completely irrational, and irritates the heck out of people.

/ Alex