Re: [Usability] Re: Button ordering

Alan Cox wrote:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/proposals/dialog.html
"rationale: The eyes of people who read left-to-right tend towards the upper-left and lower-right corners of boxes. Therefore the action the user is most likely to perform should be located in the lower-right corner. With this button order, the action the user is most likely to perform is always in the same place and is always the most noticeable."

I've seen the comment. I've yet to see a single cite to the research
that backs this up. Slavish quoting from MacOS doesn't count.

You're right, I haven't seen links to such research. I was told that the eyes see uppert-left and lower-right corners first and they're the highlighted spots in some art classes, which is the reasoning behind advertisement layouts and TV screen layouts - the viewer will be attracted to those corners - but I don't have any of the research that was cited when I was told this. I'll look around, but I'm sure someone has some links. Please? :)

Julian
--
email: julian jabber org
jabber:julian jabber org