Re: UI Guidelines -- What I'm doing

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 04:46:23PM -0600, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> Personally, I don't think we'll be able to have the UI guidelines ready
> for GNOME 2.0.

I think that's true.  But is there anything shorter but still useful
that could be done before then?

Some visible changes might help a lot, and also might help people to
believe that there is something concrete coming out of this work.

For example, even going as far as to give suggested names for menus,
and sugegsted menu items (when to have a Preferences menu and when
to have Preferences under File or Edit or a little diamond :-) ) might
be genuinely useful, and could be done in plenty of time.

I don't mean to derail discussion about what little parts would or
wouldn't be useful, let's not get sidetracked.  I agree that trying
to finish a document by the end of May (say) isn't going to happen,
and there would need to be plenty of time for programmers to make
changes before a code freeze.

> in the worst case, we'll have something that's incomplete and
> underdeveloped, and might be plain wrong in many respects.
The document will have to evolve as the gnome community learns more
about what works and what doesn't in the Gnome and Unix framework,
and as experiments are tried.

I think actually something that's later shown to be a mistake, but that
can easily be corrected, is probably better than nothing.

Best,

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/