Re: Usability list? Eh?

colin z robertson wrote:

> hmm. Well, to the untrained eye it does look rather like an insult.

I shouldn't think that was the intention, although perhaps the new list
(and the reason for it) could have been a bit more widely-announced.

> If you want my opinion, the way to motivate people and to shake off a
> negative image would be to actually do something useful. Creating a
> new mailing list is just window-dressing.

Certainly doing the work is the priority, I doubt if anyone could argue
with that.  Perhaps one advantage of a new mailing list/website is that
when it comes to announcing outside our group what we've been working
on, people might be more tempted to take it seriously, and won't be
negatively influenced by the fact that it's on the "UI Hitsquad website"
or "discussed on gnome-gui-list"-- which, whether we like it or not,
aren't phrases that carry as much weight or generate as much excitement
in the rest of the community any more as any of us here would wish.

> And proposing UI Guidelines is easy -- I've seen it done several
> times before.

Proposing them is certainly easy-- picking the good ones, arriving at a
consensus and documenting them well is hard  :o)  But also fun...

Cheeri,
Calum.