Re: Menu Guidelines

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 03:15:47PM -0400, Liam Quin wrote:
> I like Calum's comment on Close document-name and Quit app-name.
> This can usefully be extended to undo operation, redo operation.
>
> I personally have real problems with control-W as close window or exit,
> because it's also used to delete a word (e.g. in text fields, in vi's
> insert mode, in the Unix shell), so I sometimes delete Mozilla windows
> by mistake.
>
> So it should be possible to override the default keybindings, not just on
> a per-application basis but on a per-user and per-enterprise basis,
> as you can with Motif (and open look) applications.

Yes, I'd like to see this too. It's a suggestion that comes up quite often. Do you have any idea how we should go about getting this implemented?

> I'd also like to see standard menu items to save and erstore the current
> workspace (i.e. the set of all open windows and states).  This is
> needed for "save session" in any case, so it's not a lot of extra
> work for the programmer.

So should there be the items "Save Workspace", "Save Workspace As..." and "Open Workspace..." in the file menu, or should it be done differently from that?

> On the Help menu...
>
> I see no justification for "about zkrws 4" not telling you anything
> about what the program does or is used for.  If you were interviewing
> people for a job and said, tell me about yourself, you would not
> expect candidates to start talking about their parents and how and
> where they were conceived :-)
>
> By all means have a button or submenu to give info on the developers,
> the company, the licence, the release notes, but please make "about"
> tell you about the program :-)  I don't care that there's a strong
> convention amongst commercial applications to have an advert here.

Well, hang on. What information counts as being about the program and what information counts as being about something else is a pretty vague area. We could have a lot of fun with it if we were philosophers. I'm actually of the opinion that the developers and the license are information about the program and should be in an About box.

What about a recommendation to the effect of: The About dialog should contain the name and version number of the program, a short description of what the program does, a copyright notice, and the license under which the program is made available.

Is that acceptable?

colin