Re: New menu standard

glynn foster sun com (2001-06-01 at 1207.25 +0100):
> > My feeling is that we can leave quite a bit up to the implementation, and
> > that way we don't loose flexibility in the future.  The three biggest things
> > are 1) giving concrete place for 3rd party developers to put .desktops in 2)
> > not depending on any set menu structure 3) properly merge KDE, GNOME and any
> > other menus.
> I'm not sure if a concrete place is a good idea....well actually something
> needs to go in a concrete place alright, but I'd prefer to see some sort
> of xml file ie. menu-locations.xml for the location of the .desktop files

What is the problem with a env var (proposed solution a few lines
after the intro)? IMHO env vars are nice, allow interesting tasks
(check all the dirs, change dirs just for this situation), and others
that with XML are too much. Env vars can work even if you do not have
access to disk (one of the nice bugs of KDE and GNOME is when disk
fills: they do not work 100% or nuke your current config, maybe both).

All this madness about XML is too much. XML is nice, but next thing is
that somebody will want to store images as XML.

<image>
<header>
    (misc info here)
</header>
<pixels>
    <item>#FF00FF</item>
    (repeat per each pixel)
<pixels>
</image>

OK, now tell me that is already in use. :]

GSR