Re: Default button in dialogs

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 06:01:39PM -0500, James M. Cape wrote:
> The purpose of a UI Guidelines document is to lead the way for
> developers, and show them how they can best create an interface that
> serves their users. If a UI Guidelines document does not lead the way,
> but merely codifies current (and, IMHO, poor) practice, then I believe
> it has failed. I realize that a large portion of the computing world
> does it Windows' way, but that obviously doesn't make it right. And for
> something as truly trivial as dialog buttons, it seems as though a *lot*
> of time is being spent on something that really doesn't deserve it.

See my reply to Julian for my views on button layout.

>      So long as the GNOME UI is getting an overhaul through a set of UI
> Guidelines, I think it best that we all agree that it doesn't matter
> what we've said or believed before, and agree to simply set forth to
> design the best interface we can, given the tools at hand (GNOME, GTK+).

hmm. You're an optimist.

The GNOME UI is not getting an overhaul. We're trying to write some
guidelines and that is all. People may or may not pay the slightest
bit of attention to what we produce.

Sorry, I'm in a slightly negative (albeit realistic) mood today.

> If that means throwing out some work which we've done before, then
> sobeit. We are here to help GNOME get good, not to throw some document
> out on the heap and say "follow this, but we're going to be changing it
> in a few weeks because it may not be the best."

I was never doing any such thing.

>      We must put aside differences & agree to work together,
> irrespective of differences in time, space, or medium. I know that
> virtually all of the persons responsible for the document on jmissig.org
> are on IRC a lot (I myself have a full-time job, so I may not always be
> around, but I try my best :-)), and believe it or not IRC is definately
> a place where one can get a lot of work done, especially when it is a
> topic that requires discussion, and I'm sure that these things will sort
> themselves out quickly, especially when the delay between IRC messages
> is a few seconds, as opposed to the few minutes of delay between
> messages on this list. I do believe that the list should remain active,
> but IRC allows a much faster pace to be maintained. #usability on
> irc.gnome.org is the recommended forum for these kinds of things, BTW.

I've never been much of an IRC person, myself. Mailing lists better
suit my temperament. However, I'll try to spend a little time in
#usability.

colin